Milwaukee Brewing Company in Milwaukee, WI, brewers of award-winning brews such as Louie’s Demise Amber Ale and O-Gii Tea Infused Witbier, has an opening for a Brewer at our 50 bbl (and growing) brewery. At Milwaukee Brewing Company, we focus crafting and creating beers using the best local ingredients and suppliers in a sustainable, creative and innovative environment.
We are looking for passionate individuals who are excited to join our team of craft beer aficionados in a work-hard, drink-hard environment. Our brewers are responsible for the day to day brewing operations from receipt of raw materials, combining of recipe ingredients through to cellaring in preparation for smooth packaging delivery. While there is uniqueness to every beer we produce, our brewers adhere to recipes and SOPs to achieve the best possible consistency of taste and experience of our drinkers. You’ll work with our Quality team, and document processes to ensure that we are making our best possible brews. You’ll take ownership of the processes on your scheduled shift, which will rotate to include nights and weekends. We seek a passionate, accountable, reliable person who is adverse to cutting corners and takes pride in the work they produce. You must be able to closely adhere to procedures and guidelines, including following recipes per exact specification and implementing detailed cleaning regimens. You should also be interested in growing with us, to include completing special assignments and offering your great ideas and suggestions that move our department forward.
What you’ll do:
- Be a proactive member of a small team of 4-6 Brewers, ensuring production schedules and quality requirements are always met.
- Execute production duties -in milling of grain, wort production, yeast handling, fermentation management, filtration and finishing and bright beer handling.
- Following approved recipes, operate brewhouse from milling through transfer to fermentation cellar.
- Maintain raw material in a brewing worthy condition.
- Ensure that all beer is produced according to defined quality standards and specifications.
- Meet production goals and standards while managing manufacturing costs.
- Ensure safe brewhouse operation including enforcement of lock out tag out, PPE, operation of powered industrial equipment, machine guarding, facility order and cleanliness, hazardous material handling, etc.
- Enter transactions in a timely manner to OrchestratedBEER.
- Clean and sanitize all brewing equipment.
- Manage brewhouse maintenance.
- Ensure quality parameters and communicate with QA to resolve any issues promptly.
- Supervise / Coordinate timely spent grain removal.
- Organize and maintain hop cooler and scaling area.
- Perform daily packaging quality taste tests with QA lab.
What we’re looking for:
- Formal training at an accredited brewing school or 2 years of brewing experience.
- Ability to perform blending calculations.
- Knowledge of CIP, COP, and sanitizing principles.
- Basic understanding of standard brewery QA/QC practices required.
- Experience utilizing SAP management systems a plus.
- Willing to work weekends and evenings; acceptance of varying and flexible schedules.
- Punctual & reliable.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong problem solving skills and ability to work independently.
- Must be a Team Player.
- Must be able to multitask and work in a fast paced environment.
- Strong knowledge of craft beer and the brewing process from grain to glass.
- Appreciation of our beers and enthusiasm for the craft industry as a whole.
- Must be able to lift 55 pounds, twist/turn, reach over shoulders, bend/stoop and stand/walk on a continual basis.
Milwaukee Brewing Company is an equal opportunity employer, and offers a compensation package that includes: medical, dental, vision at competitive group rates, paid vacation and holidays, 401K plan with company match. Not to mention, there’s free beer too!
Job Type: Full-time